To ensure child safety in India, most of the schools today are using RFID technology. The reason behind growing demand of RFID in school industry is its affordable cost and efficiency. Schools are using RFID in their libraries, entry gates and school buses so that it is easier to track the students inside the school premises. The use of RFID system in school premises not only improves student security, but also helps in better management of the school.
What is RFID?
RFID stands for radio frequency identification. Here the data is transferred from RFID tag to RFID reader through radio frequency waves. It does not need any physical contact between the reader and the tag. Active RFID tags can read objects present at a long distance while passive RFID tags are useful for a short distance.
Different uses of RFID technology in schools:
- Library system: RFID tracking system has replaced the bar code system used previously in school libraries. The main advantage that an RFID tracker has over a bar code reader is, there is no need to scan each and every book; it can read multiple numbers of books with a single scan. RFID passive tags do not have any expiry.
- School Entry gate: By installing the RFID system at the school gate, it will become easier to take the attendance of all the students who have entered the school. By doing this you can easily track students who are present in the school premises along with the student who went out of the school.
- Restricted Areas: The entry in restricted areas can be easily authenticated by installing RFID tracking system at the entrance.
- Classrooms: By installing RFID school attendance system in the classroom, the school management can easily keep track of student attending the classes, which can further help in keeping an accurate attendance record. The number of students who entered the classroom can be easily calculated; no need of marking the student attendance manually.
- School buses: By installing RFID tracking system in school buses it becomes easier to track where and when the students boarded and deboarded the bus. As soon as the students board/deboard the bus, parents will get notifications, which ensures peace of mind.Apart from using RFID tracker, schools are also using GPS school bus tracking technology, which enables real-time tracking of school buses. If a bus is equipped with GPS tracking system, it becomes handy to track the current location of the bus. Also, parents and school admin can get timely notification about the arrival and departure of the school bus, changes in school bus routes and reason of delay.